Note: When we released dot big bang version 0.8 back in May of 2022, I posted the following thread over on Twitter. It’s a quick summary of the platform, and a rundown of some of the things you can do with it. I’ve often linked to it to give people a quick summary of dot big bang. As Twitter threads are now only viewable to logged-in users, we’re posting it here so that everyone can see.
- We built a complete game engine and a revolutionary multiplayer game editor that runs on *every* modern OS and device directly in your web browser and crammed it all into 4MB. Create with friends across Windows, macOS, Linux, ChromeOS, iOS and Android with cross-play.
- You can create games in multiplayer and tweak them in real-time while other people play live!
- The editor is built in and you can open it instantly while you’re playing. Want to change something? Just change it!
- The game engine uses a traditional Entity Component System, and goes all the way from simple drag-and-drop of functional game objects…
- …to complete TypeScript scripting using the code editor from VSCode (Monaco) with full autocomplete of all engine types and APIs. Complete docs are here: docs.dotbigbang.com
- We’ve built lots of complete games only using these in-browser tools.
- But what’s been even more amazing are the things our community have built…
- Our Discord server has grown to 5000 users and it’s the best online community I’ve ever been part of (sorry everyone here 😉 ) https://discord.com/invite/9GPQ58Y4aW
- v0.8 gives complete access to the engine through our new game editor with new UI for all components, a new entity search, a reworked palette and much more. https://blog.dotbigbang.com/2022/05/13/massive-editor-update-welcome-to-dot-big-bang-v0-8
- Next up we’re close to completing work to move our collision system to the C++ Bullet physics engine compiled to WASM and we’ve been working to build new terrain tools that will let creators build bigger spaces easily!
- Then, we plan to support 10x the number of entities at 60fps on high end devices, and to run all our current games at 60fps on mid-spec devices.
- Also my boss told me that I’ve got to say that if this sounds like something that you’d be interested in working on, we’re a fully remote company with people in 5 countries and we’re hiring right now 🙂 http://controlzee.com/#jobs
Finally, if you have any questions about our engine, tech, tools, approach, or anything else, feel free to message me 🙂